Friday, November 2, 2007

Making up for lost time.

So, I lied about posting the review for Atmosphere right after seeing it. We went, caught a bit of the opener, and then saw Slug, Ant, and a live band do a long set that basically made me realize how little Atmosphere I actually know. They played a big ol' chunk of stuff from the new album, two or three songs off of the LPs (none of our favorites) and then mostly things from the EPs. The other thing about seeing Atmosphere is how old the honorable Mr. Daley is, and how much energy he packs into the body of "a skinny guy with a gut and backne." I didn't breathe once during the set.

Also recently saw the Weakerthans at the Metro. Managed to get there barely in time for their set, because of a fun and friendly detour on the way up, and saw the whole hour and a half set. Now, I have wanted to see the Weakerthans since, roughly, my junior year of high school, and I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only person in the audience who'd been waiting that long - they played just a few songs off the new album (including my favorite, "Virtute* the Cat Explains Her Departure") to remind fans that they have, infact, been doing something for the past four years. For the rest of the set, they played a pretty even mix of songs off the other three, including a mini solo set by Mr. Samson ("One Great City" and "My Favorite Chords"). They opened, oddly enough, with "Psalm for the Elk's Lodge Last Call" and closed with "Manifest."

In other news, I was running a fever the entire ride up to the show, and it was gone by the time we left. I credit the band for this.


*pronounced "Vir-chew-tay." I learned this at the show.

No comments: