Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Oh, DI comments threads

So, the comments thread on Paul Cruse's piece on affirmative action turned into the predictable cesspit. I'm not going to quote much here, it's about what you'd expect - although I did like the guy who showed a great amount of class, tact, and good breeding in changing "Paul Cruse III" to "Paul Cruse XXX," apparently implying that he's either too hot for TV, or three times as radical as El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz.

So, just as I was despairing about my school, I came across this shining gem. I will post it in its entirety.

Harvard Student

posted 1/18/08 @ 8:59 PM CST

Let's be honest here, the University of Illinois is not a very prestigious university. Very prestigious universities don't have community college transfer students and they don't have students who come to the university to party and drink all day. The only thing prestigious about the University of Illinois is the engineering school.

Dis. And the reply?

Gerrit

posted 1/21/08 @ 10:19 AM CST

Harvard is totally queer.

That's what I'm talking about! Don't let them talk down to you! Prove them right!

I'm mean, granted, I love to sling calumny on a privileged, East Coast bastard as much as anyone, but really? You couldn't point out the elitist stick up Harvard Student's ass, his blatant classism, or complete lack of knowledge about the achievements of the school outside of engineering? The fact that while Harvard was producing the chinless wonders running the country today, U of I was producing agronomists to feed the developing world, economists to make the money flow, journalists to write about it, and just to top it all off, invented the web browser.

But please, go with the gay joke. I mean, if too many people know how awesome we really are, they'll all want to come here.

No comments: